Saturday, October 26, 2013

"Just touched down in London-town"

Hi!
     I am going to write a quick blog post (I know, I know thats a shocker!) because in an hour I am leaving for a week and a half long fall break! WOOHOO! Today, my friend Nick and I leave to spend a week traveling in Italy from Cinque Terre to Florence, and to Venice. Then from Venice, I am flying to Portugal to meet up with my family in Lisbon! Honestly, couldn't ask for a better fall break plan! But yeah, so I am leaving in like half an hour and I figure I'd leave you with a little update on my life.
     Last weekend was one of my best friend's Michelle's 21st birthday! She is currently studying abroad in Scotland and her family was abroad to visit. Her mom had messaged me late in the summer to invite me to celebrate with her and her family in London, but it was to be a surprise! (For those of you who know me, I love surprises! I hate being surprised, but I love giving them!) Of course I said I would love to join them and surprise her. So last Friday, I hopped on the train and took the two and a half hour ride into King's Cross. It was a slightly frantic day because I got into King's Cross but was planning on meeting up with a friend from home for lunch. I also had to figure out how I was going to get from London to Gatwick Airport by 5 pm where I would be meeting Michelle and her family! I was frantically running around London trying to figure out the Tube, my transportation, and seeing my friend. Naturally, I was stressing out but everything turned out great. I met up with my friend Emma for lunch which was so nice since I hadn't seen her in four years. After lunch, I took the Tube to Victoria station so I could hop on a bus that would take me to Gatwick. For the record, whoever says the DC or Paris metro system is confusing has clearly never been to London...that thing is impossible to figure out!! But, I managed to find my way  and I got to the arrivals section at Gatwick where I would meet up with Michelle's mom and her uncle. Michelle's extended family lives near Brighton so we would be spending the night and Sunday at their places. The three of us were so excited for Michelle and Sarah to come walking through the doors. We even had bets on whether Mich would start crying. When they walked through the gates, she first saw her mom and then me. She was totally surprised and it was definitely a candid moment! It was so great to see Michelle and Sarah and to have a little piece of Saint Mike's with me while in Europe.
     We got in the car and drove back to her uncle's house where we met the rest of the family and went out for dinner. Dinner was amazing and her family is so welcoming and wonderful! It was so nice and relaxing to be hanging out with her family because it reminded me of mine. Everyone was so sweet and  talkative and it was really just great! After dinner, we went to a bar for a little bit and headed back home. Saturday morning, we headed into London for the day where we would sight-see, shop, and go out that night. During our quick stay in London, we saw Big Ben & Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Harrod's, Oxford Street and we went on the London Eye. I think the funniest part of the whole weekend was when Michelle fell down the stairs in front of Buckingham Palace. Sorry Mich, but I still laugh about it to this day. By the end of Saturday, we were all a little exhausted so we grabbed dinner and went to a bar in the SoHo part of London. Going out in London is pretty expensive so we were fine with just hanging out in one bar and then calling it a night.
    Sunday morning we went on the London Eye and then found a train to take back to where her family lives. They planned for a large family lunch so we had to be back in time for that. Personally, I was so happy to go back. London is amazing but it can definitely be overwhelming with the 8 million people in the city. We got back to the beautiful countryside, met up with her family, and had an amazing lunch. It was nice to sit back and relax with her family and enjoy a big meal. Sadly though, I had to get back to Paris on Sunday night so I once again hopped back on the train into London to catch my train to Paris.
    The weekend was just what I needed--some Saint Mike's loving, a big family to hang out with, and a beautiful countryside to stay in. I can't thank Michelle's family enough for the hospitality they showed us. They are all so fun and welcoming and I would love to see them again soon! The cousins are also exceptionally adorable especially with their little british accents. Getting back to Paris was bittersweet because I was leaving behind old friends & new friends as well as the beautiful English countryside. It was an amazing weekend and I'm so happy I could be apart of it.
    Told you it would be short! Or at least shorter than the rest of my posts. Well, I gotta get ready for my whirlwind fall break trip! Studying abroad has been great so far. I have met cool people and traveled to many parts of Europe. This past week I got a text from my mom that in two months I'll be home! Eeek that's too soon!! But until then, I will definitely try and make the most of my time abroad! Hope all is well State side and have a happy halloween!!

xoxo,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment